A blog about homeschooling, frugal living, books and life. Grab a cup of coffee and stay awhile!

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

How To Introduce Shakespeare To Your Kids

Well, I think I mentioned in a previous post that Donna was reading Romeo and Juliet and getting interested in Shakespeare. Yesterday after she had read awhile in her book ( No Fear Shakespeare) she watched the Reduced Shakespeare Company again. Kyle, Lacey, Lily and Ashley watched it with her. Kyle and Lacey LOVED it! They laughed so much. The two of them ended up watching it several times, fast forwarding it and rewinding it to their favorite parts over and over again. After they had watched it so many times I was about sick of hearing it, they mercifully decided to give it a rest. I have to admit I was greatly relieved but then they really surprised me. They began acting out their favorite scenes! Their favorites seemed to be from Hamlet. Later that night Kyle was still talking about the different plays and how funny it was so I started looking up Shakespeare for kids on the Internet and came across The Animated Tales of Shakespeare from BBC. Each episode is about 30 minutes and I found where we could watch the complete episodes on YouTube. So we ended up watching Midsummer's Night Dream and Hamlet. The cartoons were pretty good! I can really see unschooling being great for the little ones but I'll admit I have my moments of doubts with the older two.

If you found this post interesting or helpful , please share it!

No comments: