A blog about homeschooling, frugal living, books and life. Grab a cup of coffee and stay awhile!

Monday, October 15, 2012

Creed by Edgar Albert Guest

Let me be a little kinder,
Let me be a little blinder
To the faults of those around me,
Let me praise a little more;
Let me be, when I am weary
Just a little bit more cheery,
Let me serve a little better
Those that I am striving for.

Let me be a little braver
When temptation bids me waver,
Let me strive a little harder
To be all that I should be;
Let me be a little meeker
With the brother that is weaker,
Let me think more of my neighbor
And a little less of me.

Let me be a little sweeter,
Make my life a bit completer
By doing what I should do
Every minute of the day;
Let me toil, without complaining,
Not a humble task disdaining,
Let me face the summons calmly
When death beckons me away.

I love this poem. The first time I read it was in a book written by 5 missionary wives and it really touched me. Many days it's a prayer I pray over and over in my mind. When I am impatient, tired, when I feel overwhelmed by kids and house I pray to be kind, to be sweet and most of all to see these little ones through the eyes of Jesus. I am so thankful for my home and my kids and I'm so thankful that I am able to be with them all day. I know that I'm blessed and I am thankful for the blessings in my life. This poem sums up motherhood and homeschooling to me. A mother knows how hard it can be to not scold and fuss at all the little accidents, spills and messes children make, the temptation to plunk your child in front of the television so you can have a moments peace or the temptation to put them in school. Motherhood is a series of humble tasks, toiling, and weariness. The weariness of staying up all night with a crying baby or a sick child, the weariness of reading the same book for the tenth time. But at the end of the day my life is more complete, more fulfilled because of the little ones God has placed in my lives.


If you found this post interesting or helpful , please share it!

No comments: