A blog about homeschooling, frugal living, books and life. Grab a cup of coffee and stay awhile!

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Poems by Shel Silverstein

A certain family member who will remain nameless recommended these poems by Shel Silverstein.

My Robot

I told my robot to do my biddin'.
He yawned and said, "You must be kiddin'."
I told my robot to cook me a stew.
He said, "I got better things to do."
I told my robot to sweep my shack.
He said, "You want me to strain my back?"
I told my robot to answer the phone.
He said, "I must make some calls of my own."
I told my robot to brew me some tea.
He said, "Why don't you make tea for me?"
I told my robot to boil me an egg.
He said,"First- lemme hear you beg."
I told my robot, "There's a song you can play me."
He said,"How much are you gonna pay me?"
So I sold that robot, 'cause I never knew
Exactly who belonged to who.



The Former Foreman's Story

We had to demolish the Johnsons' old house.
I brought in the bulldozers, shovels, and cranes.
We tore off the shingles, we banged in the walls,
We knocked down the chimney, we tore up the drains,
We smashed in the windows, we ripped out the bell,
We cut down the rafters, we sawed up the floor,
We dug up the basement- then somebody yelled
"Hey, the Johnsons don't live there- they live next door."
(Maybe that's the reason I'm not foreman anymore.)

Any guesses whose favorite poems these are?

No comments: