A blog about homeschooling, frugal living, books and life. Grab a cup of coffee and stay awhile!

Thursday, November 1, 2012

How We Teach Civics During Election Time

Right now the elections are at the center of our home and our conversations. All of the kids (yes, even Lily) know at least something about the election, the candidates, who we support and why. The older girls watched the debates and keep up with the news. There are daily discussions about the polls, who's ahead, what the liberal news is saying and what the conservative news is saying. Sometimes it's just me and Shane discussing with the kids listening in and asking questions. Donna is registered and ready to vote for the first time this year. It's a big deal to us. I'm excited for her and she is excited. Me and Shane already early voted. We usually take the kids with us when we vote. This is just one of the reasons why we homeschool. When would we have time for these kinds of talks if the kids were in school all day? And if they were in school they wouldn't be hearing our beliefs and values they would be hearing the teachers beliefs, the teachers values. I don't mind them hearing other points of views, in fact I encourage it, but on the other hand I don't want that to be the only view they hear either. I love homeschooling, the relationships that I have with my kids are priceless. How could I of had this kind of relationship with them if they had been gone all day?

If you found this post interesting or helpful , please share it!

No comments: