A blog about homeschooling, frugal living, books and life. Grab a cup of coffee and stay awhile!

Friday, November 9, 2012

Frugal Friday- Christmas update

Well, we are still staying on our budget. Yeah! I bought Ashley's big present. I'm super glad to have that done and out of the way. I'll probably buy her 2 more super small $10 gifts just so she will have more to open Christmas morning. I paid on our layaway. We are really hoping Shane will get his safety bonus soon, every three months his company gives a $300.00 safety bonus. He is due for another one in November. We plan to use $150.00 to pretty much finish up our lay-a-ways and the other $150.00 to help out with the bills. I didn't shop ahead for Thanksgiving as much as I should of so Thanksgiving dinner will be a bit of a crunch. I do NOT plan on repeating that mistake for Christmas dinner. So starting this week I am going to add at least two items a week to my grocery list for Christmas dinner. It's much easier coming our 5 or 10 dollars a week as opposed to an extra 60 dollars one pay for one meal! I am kicking the idea around of getting a job through the holidays but I REALLY don't want to do that. My mom was nice enough to have me do some housework for her last month and I used that money to buy the girls each a really cute pair of boots and a pair of black dress shoes from one of our local resell stores. I also bought Kyle two pairs of jeans ( for $3 a piece!) and Lily a skirt. All three of them just really needed more clothes so bad, I hated to spend the money that I was hoping to put on Christmas but Lacey had no shoes at all. Her summer sandals  are no where to be found and besides it will be too cold for sandals soon. And Lily's one pair of sandals were about wore out. But at least the money didn't have to come out of the family budget. I'm really struggling staying with my goal of not buying any extra gifts for the kids. I went to Hobby Lobby the other day and saw so many cool craft projects. I have visions of teaching the girls to cross stitch, sew, knit, and crochet. But I resisted the urge and didn't buy anything! Yeah! I'm already so excite about Christmas I was seriously considering getting my decorations out of storage and decorating the house. I didn't do it but the day after Thanksgiving the decorations are going up! :)

*Update* Shane did get his safety bonus but it was a little less than we expected. We ended up using it all on Christmas.
Lacey found her sandals. Yeah! They were in the church lost and found.

If you found this post interesting or helpful , please share it!

No comments: